Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Popularity

Authors Note: I was texting my friend Sarah Gonzalez on Facebook today and she asked me who my best friend was. I said I didn't really have one, and she responded, "really I can't believe that because you are so popular."  We talked more about that and we discussed what popularity actually meant. This piece is about what conclusion we found to what "popularity" meant.

Popularity. My least favorite word in the entire world. What first comes to mind when you think of the world popular? A group of characters in a chick flick or the sporty girls who have a lot of friends in grade school? If you have ever wished to be called "popular" stop wishing. If what I think your thinking is correct to be popular means your good at sports, pretty and everybody thinks you’re the nicest person in the whole world (that is before you get to know the person). If that were true I am friends with some pretty popular people.

Let's just say you were to meet my "friend" Sandy. Sandy is on the black basketball team, the select soccer team, a softball team, track, and plays volleyball. She is also has perfect long hair and freckles that just make her look cute. Before she's good friends with people she complements them in the halls and runs up and hugs them like they have been best friends forever. She hung out with me a lot in the beginning of the summer, but when someone else  better was free for a day she dumped me and ran off with them. When she is with you she stabs her best friends in the back. To be quite honest she's kind of a jerk at times. Today I was called popular and I was honestly sad about that because I had an awful definition of popular in my head,because I knew people called Sandy popular. I don't want to be group into the "popular" group because a lot of the people in that group are bullies to basically everybody they don't hang out with on a regular bases. The person who called me popular is the nicest person I have ever met at this school district. If you were to ask me now what first comes to mind when you think of the world popular. I would say a person who can be truly nice to everyone.  I am not popular, I will never be able to be nice to everyone.  Even though someone doesn't have that many friends and isn't very athletic or pretty they can still be popular.

1 comment:

  1. I like your popularity piece because I totally agree your definition of popularity. My opinion is that nobody is popular or cool. Everyone is themselves in their own little way. Who cares if they are pretty or sporty, all I care about if they are a nice person and that they care about you.

    ReplyDelete