Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Milwaukee Meusum

Authors Note:  Earlier this week I went to the Milwaukee Public Museum for a field trip. I went to many different exhibits, including the Streets of Old Milwaukee, The Arctic,The Rain Forest, Butterfly Garden, The third Planet, Living Oceans, and Native Americans.I discovered a lot when I was there so,I decided to share it with you.

When I entered the museum I was excited to discover new things. All of the groups my class split up.In my group their was eight girls.(Kiley, Zoe, Callie, Tien, Sydney K, Sydney W, Riah, and me.) Our first stop was to the 3rd Planet exhibit. As we entered we saw many cool things, some even dated back 300 million years ago. We looked at and learned about dinosaurs. I also learned that at one time all of the countries were together to make one big country. This country was called Pangaea. Over all  I think that this exhibit was really interesting.

After the 3rd planet exhibit we crossed the hall and took a stroll down the streets of old Milwaukee. I learned Kiley's grand parents got engaged in a building we saw called Phister Hotel. Sydney Wagner's great grandpa worked for the store Usingers Sausage on the real streets of old Milwaukee back in the early 1900's.  In addition to that I learned that George Watts was a famous china salesman in Milwaukee who owned a store name GEO. Watts. After finding out all of that we stumbled across a candy shop where we each bought chocolates and candy sticks. While eating the candy we embarked toward the rainforest exhibit.

In the rainforest exhibit...I learned about monkeys and how they survive in the environment around them. We also learned about cells, we got the chance to loo into microscopes and see the cells of a rainforest leaf. Another thing I found out was that a butterfly is 100% symmetrical. I was glad that I had the chance to go to that exhibit.

Shortly after we left the rainforest exhibit we went to the butterfly exhibit.  We entered a butterfly garden that contained a miniature water fall, plants, and butterflies. I liked when butterflies landed on me. I also thought it was cool when they stuck to the side of the water fall with out falling off. While looking at some of the butterflies I almost stepped one so, I wish they didn't land on the floor. We stayed in there so long, the lady who was running it kicked us out, so we went to lunch.

After lunch we went to the Arctic exhibit.


I went to the Arctic exhibit in the Milwaukee museum. I learned how Indians lived in the cold weather. For food the went ice fishing. It was a lot like ice fishing now but in stead of using a pole to fish through the holes they used a spear to catch fish and seals. I also learned they lived in igloos. I thought that would be cold, but I learned it wasn't that cold because  it  was completely closed and close together. All together I liked the exhibit.

In the living oceans exhibit I learned a lot. I learned about how people used mollusks. They used it for food, tools, adornments, and money. I also learned about waves. The force of surging waves causes problems for life along the shore. Another thing I learned about was the saltiness of salt water. There is three-tenths of a pound of salt in each gallon of seawater. Over all I learned a lot in the exhibit.

I  went to the Native American exhibit in the Milwaukee Museum. I learned about the Broad leaf Forest, the trees in this forest were classed as either broad leaf or needle leaf. I also learned about the fishes such as perches, sunfishes, trouts, and basses. In native Americans free time they dance. One of the kind of dances they did was the Traditional Wisconsin Woodland Powwow.  I learned a lot in the Native American Exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment